Friday, May 2, 2008

Blog 13 - Megan Gillespie

I had never taken the Jung Typology Test before, so I didn’t think my scoring as an INFJ-type personality would reveal much that I hadn’t already known about myself. Well, I’ll admit it. . . I was entirely wrong.

Each different ‘type’ is meant to help an individual better understand themselves and explain in unbiased terms the effect personality has on other facets of life, such as career and relationships. Having always considered myself an introvert, I never understood why other tests seemed to point me towards more social fields, like counseling and education. I thought my current hope of going into the ministry would be hindered since one perceivably has to have the same “people skills” that are associated with teaching and counseling. Although faith is large part of who I am, I don’t want to have to adjust my personality to fit a particular career choice. My livelihood should fit who I am. With this test I came to realize that my introverted side is the entire reason for my attraction to the ministry in the first place. This is because my fascination with humanity stems from quiet observations, including the contemplation of the intrinsic and extrinsic workings of individuals and society as a whole.

Through this test I realize that my tendency to be reclusive actually aids my understanding of people and the world at large. Grasping the concept of how my personality is reflected to the external world helps me utilize certain characteristics to my advantage.

No comments: