Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Old work- blog 5

Who’s taking the Kids by Jonathan Alter, describes something all too familiar to
the average family. The simple things that parents have taken for granted for
ages are now looked upon as horrible and heinous acts. The simple act of getting
something that mom forgot for dinner from the corner store is seen as a
dangerous act. I know when I was growing up my mom would never allow me to cross
the street to get to the general store literally across the road from us. “It’s
to dangerous,” was the favorite phrase. Granted I have to give my mother credit
we lived on a main road, and there was lots of traffic, but still it felt like a
privilege had been taken away. Still to this day my own mother will worry about
me crossing the road even in the cross walk. The story about the father having
to drag his child into the drycleaner’s for a 90 second errand that is another
all to real annoyance. Again when I was little I spent time with mom while she
was at work. Any time we had to leave the off
ice, I had to go with her, no matter what. Every place she had to get out of the car, I too was dragged.
I remember asking, “why do I have to go”, and getting the simple answer, because
I’m not allowed to leave you here (in the car). The world has changed or so they
keep telling us. The article and pervious life experiences tell you that, when
was that time where everything was so carefree? Did that ever exists; because I
know for myself it did not.

No comments: