Friday, May 9, 2008

Blog 14-James Hamblin

After much contemplation, I realize a background in computers would help with any career I chose. My ultimate goal would be an electrical engineering degree, but I am thirty-one and time is of the essence. I feel that a more realistic approach would be to acquire the skills necessary for an engineering degree while completing smaller more manageable steps along the way. I am excited about an electrical degree due to the fact that I am a hands on person that likes to fix things.

An electrical engineering degree covers all aspects of electrical applications. It is an extensive discipline with many different fields of expertise. Among the many disciplines are radio, magnetism, and electronic devices. To acquire an electrical engineering degree, one must first complete a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering. Then complete work study programs before being certified as a professional engineer.

Following this template I feel as though an associate’s degree, in a computer discipline, would be a good start. My current degree is for Network Administration. It covers a wide range of computer applications from accounting to hardware. I feel this is a good place for me to start and while I am continuing my education, I can also use the skills I learn to acquire appropriate jobs in the workplace.

An electrical engineering degree would be an exciting career for an individual like myself. There are many hurdles to overcome, but with patience and a bit of luck I will get there. To complete a bachelor’s degree I will need to maintain an eclectic lifestyle; both working and studying.

No comments: